Outdoor Navigation Essentials
This course will teach you the essential navigation skills to ensure your safe return from a day in the Bush.
The hands-on workshop style programme includes a day of lessons and practical activities followed by a challenging practical navigation exercise in which to hone your skills.
The course is open to beginners with no previous navigation experience. You will learn how to read a topographic map and how to use a compass. The course is taught in a practical and inclusive style that allows you to immediately put into practise what you are learning.
This course is only offered to individuals and small groups. Please contact us to discuss your needs.
Suggested Course Topics:
- Identifying features of the environment
- Reading a map
- Using a compass
- Using the sun to navigate
- Grid-to-magnetic bearing conversions
- Selecting your route
- Techniques for not getting lost
- Finding your location
- Communicating location in an emergency
- Navigating in difficult conditions and challenging terrain
- Gear selection
- Class Sizes: We limit group sizes to no more than 6 participants.
- Prerequisites: A basic level of fitness is required for the practical activity.
- Course Duration: We customise this course for your small group, but we would suggest 1 day Theory + 1 Day Practical. For smaller groups or individuals we can squeeze this into 1 day.
- Location: We usually conduct our practical activity in Northern Sydney.